Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I have never set up a Wiki, but after reading these two chapters I feel like I should.  I think that a Wiki could be very beneficial for my environmental studies class.  We do not have a text and I like the idea of creating a Wiki text.  Two of the topics that we cover would lend themselves very well to a class Wiki text.  The two topics are biodiversity and energy resources.  These are two topics where a multimedia text could add so much to the students understanding of the topics.  The other advantage to a class Wiki is that these are two moving target topics with new developments constantly making the news.  
In my biology class I would like to set up a Wiki on bioethics.  This is a topic with lots of new developments.  I think students could become very engaged in discussing these controversial topics.  I found this site that allows free Wikis for educators.  The Beech chapter on Wikis suggesed this site.  I may start here and try to set one up.  
Some of the challenges to having students engage in collaborative writing is to get them comfortable with the idea of sharing ideas and doing revisions of their work. I really like the Bledsoe article.  I especially like the way she explained how she modeled the collaborative process with the whole class.  

1 comment:

  1. Agree that the Bledsoe article was encouraging and functional. While reading it felt as if she was anticipating my questions and answering them in a practical manner. It would be interesting also to see what changes students find from year to year as the topics are researched and written about. Would high school students be interested in how much change, debate, legislation, reflections etc one year brings in a topic like bioethics as a jumping off place or would they want to start the research on their own?

    ReplyDelete